Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Aura - Is There a Silver Lining


In previous blogs on the subject of aura I discussed the indicationsof aura as well as the fact that not all migraine headache victims experience aura before they have headaches. In my final post on this subject I want to look and see if there is anything good about aura.

Aura not only happens to those who have migraine headaches but it also can happen to people who have epilepsy before a seizure. It would seem that this could be a benefit if acted upon immediately. But what about our subject of migraine headaches? If I knew that I was going to have a migraine headache 1, 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes before it happened, would that help? Or would it tend to push me to a point of despair? I'm afraid that I cannot answer this question since I have never experienced aura.

I know that there are certain things I can do (outside of taking pills) when I start to get a headache that often times relieves the pain. The most helpful practice that I do when I start to feel headache pain is work out. If I am at home I hit the Total Gym for about 30-40 minutes. Most of the time if the headache pain is slight to moderate that will relieve it completely. If I am in the office I do a good set of push ups followed by a nice walk at lunchtime. This often provides natural headache relief as well. Whether that could be done at or right after aura, I do not know.

If anyone has any ideas they can share with us regarding if there is anything that can be done at the sign of aura please do so. Headaches afflict many people and we appreciate the help!

Have a great evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aura, what is this a new thing in categories of headache? But good to know about this. Thanks